Sightseeings

The Lighthouse of Saint Theodoroi

The Lighthouse of Saint TheodoroiOne of the most famous sights in the area of Argostoli, and more specifically of the
so-called round of Lassis, is the Lighthouse of Saint Theodoroi. It was named
after the little church which is located very close to it. The whole area has
been named after the lighthouse which, for reasons of simplicity and briefness,
is called Fanari.

 

Saint Gerasimo’s Cave in Lassi

Saint Gerasimo's Cave in LassiThe Cave is located in the area of Argostoli called Lassi. Saint Gerasimos led an
ascetic life when he came from Zakynthos to Kefalonia in 1555 and stayed here
for 5 years. In 1560, he went to Omala, where his monastery is today.

 

Katavothres

KatavothresOne of the most well-known sights which is also a top geological phenomenon of our island, is Katavothres. They are located in a distance of about 2km from the island’s capital, Argostoli, in the so-called round of Lassi.

 

Napier’s garden

Napier's gardenOne of the most beautiful spots in the town of Argostoli is Napier’s park. It is a
part in the city full of trees which is elevated and surrounded by walls of
traditional Kefalonian type. In the park, there are pebble-lined aisles all
around and in its centre and even though it is considered a small park, one can
find a wide variety of trees.

 

Devossetos Bridge

Dervosetos BridgeThe historical bridge of Argostoli, also known as Dervosetos Bridge, was built in
1813 by Charles-Philip De Bosset in an attempt to prevent entrance to Argostoli
through Koutavos. In those days, this was synonymous to, in the best case,
malaria and in the worst case, death. For this reason, the road ending up to the
bridge is dedicated to this man and named after him.

 

The Castle of Saint George

The Castle of Saint George One of the most famous sights, of great historical significance for the area of
Livathos, is Saint George’s Castle. It is a notable Venetian castle in
Kefalonia, with ensuing 16th century Enetic interventions. It was the capital of
the island till 1757. In subsequent years, there have been many works of
conservation thus helping the castle to acquire a part of its former glory.

 

Kounopetra

KounopetraNear the village Mantzavinata, in the Paliki peninsula, there is a big rock which has
the capacity to move rhythmically and continuously. This is a universally unique
phenomenon and its value adds to the fact that it is extremely strange, since it
opposes to the logic which suggests that such a large rock should be stabilized
and unyielding.

 

Kipouraion Monastery

Kipouraion MonasteryOne of the most breathtaking scenery in the whole of Kefalonia can be found in the
west coast of Lixouri, in the famous Kipouraion Monastery. It is situated at a
distance of about 15km from Lixouri, on the road leading to Havriata (the
balcony of the Ionian).

 

 

The Lighthouse of Gerogombos

The Lighthouse of GerogombosOne of the most famous attractions of the Peninsula of Paliki is the Lighthouse of
Gerogombos. It is a 13m high tower, standing on the edge of the homonymous bay.
It was constructed by the British in 1807 and destroyed by German troops during
their withdrawal from the island. It was rebuilt soon after, in 1947.

 

Lake Cavern of Melissani

Lake Cavern of MelissaniOne of the most famous as well as beautiful sights on the island, of great
historical interest, is the Lake Cavern of Melissani. This is a lake cavern
which is located at Karavomylos, very close to Sami. It was discovered in 1951
by the speleologist Petrohilos and from then on, after some procedures for the
construction of an entrance, it has been delivered for tourist access.

 

Drogarati Cave

Drogarati CaveDrogarati cave is one of the greatest and most beautiful natural sights in the region
around Sami and in the whole of Kefalonia. It is located at a short distance
from the Lake Cavern of Melissani, making it belong to the same geographical
area. It was discovered about 300 years ago when, during a strong earthquake one of its sections collapsed and uncovered what is now the entrance to the cave.